Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Expanding on A Note

      In the Phantom Tollbooth, there is a lot of examples on play of words in this book. All through the parts of the book that I have read so far, I've been commenting on this same thing. Like almost in the beginning of the book on page eighteen, where there is a wether man, and he is talking to Milo and he asks him, "Do you think it will rain?" And  Milo says back, " I thought you were the wether man." and the wether man says back "Oh no," said the little man, "I'm the wether man, not the weather man." I thought that was pretty cool how he switched up the words like that.

     I think that this whole book is about words and the importance of knowing what they mean. And using that play on words gives the author, Norton Juster, a chance to tell you the difference between two words that sound the same. It also gives him a chance to give the definition and examples of the word.

     In the book there is a place called Dictionopolis, and everything there is about words. There is a word market, and guards of the gate who shout out words and there definitions. One time while Milo is in the palace having dinner with the king, and that part shows how words mean exactly what they say. Because Milo asks for something light for dinner and the butlers give him  actually lightbulb kind of light, while everybody else asks for regular food.

     I really like how Norton Juster uses word in this book. Except he makes words kind of look a lot more important than they really are in real life, that I don't like. Ohter than that I like the words and how he uses them in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment