Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Reseach Entry on The Phantom Tollbooth

     Since I have just read this book for the first time in this group project , I don't really as much understanding of the book as the other people in my group.

       In my research I found that I was really impressed with the range of vocabulary in the book. And how Norton Juster knows how to apply the dictionary to a certain level of text that kids our age can understand. I also like how he makes up really long words from real words that people use, like the word " Lethargarians." Ms. Galang told me that the root of that word is Lethargary, and that words mean that you have an extreme case of laziness. And the place that the Lethargarians are in all they do is waste time and dilly dally, and sleep. So he applies the word into the book where it is supposed to be and somewhere where you figure out the meaning of it as you go along.

      The way he uses play on words in this book is crazy cool. He uses them to show the readers that just changing one or two letters in a word can just change the whole word. On page 19 and I think that I have used this example before but it says that there is a wether man, and then he goes and asks Milo how the weather is going to be that day, and Milo is all like, I thought you said you were the weather man. Then the little man says back,  oh no I said I was the "wether" man, not the "weather" man. And I thought he used the play to show what I explained before.

      So I think that I certainly learned a lot more about words that I dodn't know before. How to use them and how tho define them.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment