Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Starry Night Poetry Response

       I didn't even read the poem I only read the title and I thought that Anne Sexton was just going to describe the painting, The Starry Night. But then I read it and saw that it wasn't like that at all.

       She kind of did describe Van Gogh's painting in a way because I remember the thing that our class thought was a tree, castle, or tower and I remember her describing that in the poem. And in our class discussion on the painting we also said that the town was silent and kind of dark. We said that the sky was the real thing we should be looking at and the contrast between the silent town and the active sky.

       In her poem she took that painting and made it into something that she could relate to and something she herself would understand. It meant something to her even if it didn't mean really anything to us. I think she focused on the town more than the starry night because her poem was really dark and she incorporated the dark things of the poem and made it into a poem about death. And how she wants to die. And she put all the things she thought was dark in the painting and put that in her poem and said she wants to die by those things. Also I realized the only reason she put a little bit of the starry night into the poem she even finds a way to make that dark and says she wants to die under the stars.

       Now me I wouldn't write a poem about the way I want to die, I would be writing about the good things in life and a way to live my life. I would not write about death. And even if I were supposed to I would write about the things I want to do before I die, fun things not emo stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment