Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Coming of Age Reading Response

The coming of age book that I picked is, Sweet Date in Basra by Jessica Jiji. So far I really like most of the book, just not the aspect of the main character, Kathmiya, having to be s slave/worker, to pick up the slack for everybody else in her family. I also don't like the fact that she can't get married because her dad favors her sister of her.

This book is about this girl named Kathmiya Mahmoud who has to work as a maid in an unfamiliar town of Basra. They say that her only asset is her exquisite beauty, and that brings her more peril than peace. But then this Jewish boy named Shafiq kind of turns her world upside down. From what I've read so far, he is the only one who brings her warmth besides her mother Jamilia. She likes to hang out with him and of course he thinks she is extraodinarily beautiful. But he understands her in a way.

So right now what is going on in the book I don't really like it just yet. I mean it's interesting but it's kind of sad. I think that first Kathmiya's dad needs to stop being so stuck up and annoying. He doesn't even appreciate what she does for the family. Kahmiya's sister needs to stop being a b****. She's always telling Kathmiya that she feels sorry for her that she doesn't get to get married, but you can tell she doesn't mean it. She also treats Kathmiya more like a slave than a sister. So she needs to stop. Now her mom, I like her just fine. She treats her like a daughter. She give Kathmiya love and respect and I like her for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment